Your health doesn’t just happen in the gym! Do you go to the gym or work out from home?
Great! But are you seeing the kind of results you expected? Here are 5 simple rules to keep your body running efficiently and ensure you are priming your body to get the most out your exercise time.
1) Carbs Are Fuel!
- They Fuel Your Brain
- Top 5 Grains:
- high fiber cereal
- whole wheat bread
- A serving size = the size of your fist.
- 1-2 fists @ a major meal
- Focus on fiber! (3 or more grams)
- Remember: Choose brown and close to the ground, The whiter the bread, the quicker you’re DEAD!
2) Eat The Rainbow!
- Try to get 3 or more colors on your plate. 9-14 servings/day!
- yellow = brain function
- purple = neurotransmitters
- white = immune function
- orange = skin & mucosal tissues
- Fabulous Fruits:
- Vivacious Veggies:
- red bell peppers
- leafy greens
- sweet potatoes
- How much? Fill up your hands!
- The key is to choose nutrient-dense calories. Don’t just look at total calories.
3) The Fewer The Legs The Better (for protein sources)
- Consume 7-11 grams/pound/day
- Plan your meals around protein
- Portion size = the palm of your hand (approx 3 oz)
- Power proteins:
- Fish (salmon, albacore)
- Grass-Fed, lean red meat
4) Eat Fats That Give Back!
- Critical To Good Health
- Regulates Blood Sugar
- High Octane Fats:
- nuts/seeds (pecans, almonds, walnuts)
- fish (salmon, tuna)
- fish oil
- olive oil (300 degrees or less)
- flax seed
- Americans NEED more Omega-3’s
- Fast Fact: Omega-3 fatty acids will typically reduce inflammation way before products like Advil and other NSAID’s
5) Eat Breakfast Every Day!
- Within 60 minutes of waking up
- Increases metabolism
- Fuels brain
- Provides energy
- Coffee is NOT food! Keep coffee consumption under 300mg/day
- When in doubt, start with a shake
- There are links between breakfast consumption and total caloric intake.
What does that mean? You will make better food choices throughout the day if you start with a good breakfast.