Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe
1 envelope whole-wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 pound lean lean ground beef
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant (approx 30 seconds).
- Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and salt. Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.
Serving Size 1 cup pasta & 3/4 cup sauce: 384 calories & 9grams of fat